Monday, March 2, 2009

About the Church

What to say about the Church? The stained glass window, the sanctuary, the inside versus the outside. The safeness.



Well, in the beginning I didn't think about church. My parents never went except for the occasional wedding and funeral. My mother was downright hostile. Church was for dummies, was the message I got.



So church and I never met. The occasional sunrise service on Easter Sunday. Why? I don't know, my Mom liked the sunrise part, maybe? It had a magical quality, but the early morning always does.



So it came as a surprise that I decided to go to church with a neighbor girl. I wanted to go because the other kids went. It was the thing to do on Sunday morning. I was eleven. There would be boys. So off I went with Susan Burnham and her family to the Second (or Third or Fourth?) Methodist Church, on the theory that my father had been a Methodist as a child, so that seemed like the right church to attend. That and Susan Burnham's parents didn't mind stopping off for me on the way.



I don't remember anything about church in the early years. Time went by. I didn't meet any boys in church. The one boy I did meet was Clarence Hagar; he had red hair. he went to another church and he was in fifth grade when I was in sixth. we met in the playground at school in the mornings by the swing set.



It was his brother who intrigued me, Wayne the "hood," the bad boy. I should have been a church regular, maybe even s Salvation Army soldier, cuz it was my mission to save the bad boys, and keep them for myself.



So I went to after school Bible Study with Clarence Hagar in hopes his brother would be there. He never was. And what I learned about the Bible you can fit in the spaces between the words on this page.



The church would get me yet.

No comments: